Whole chicken 1.3 kg
Salt 1¾ tsp
Star anise 3pc
Sand ginger powder 1 tsp
Celery 5 stalks
Ginger 8 slices
Water ½ cup
How to make it :
1. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Spatchcock the chicken by cutting along both sides of the chicken’s backbone and flattening it out. Reserve the backbone for making stock later make dipping sauce.
2. Pound the sea salt and star anise together. Evenly rub onto both sides of the chicken. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 170C / 320F.
4. Prepare a baking tray and lined with celery and ginger slices. Put in the backbone if desired. Sprinkle and rub the sand ginger powder on both sides of the chicken. Carefully place it on top of the celery and ginger. Pour in the water into the tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes. Let the chicken rest on a plate for 10 minutes.
5. Don’t discard the liquid in the baking tray. Heat the whole tray on stove over medium heat. Reduce the juice by one-third. Discard the solids and spoon out the oil on the surface. Serve for dressing.